Thursday, November 13, 2014

Dreamers, Keepers

“Can I sleep with you, Mommy?” Annabelle asked in a very small voice.

Beneath the covers, groggy from having her sleep interrupted again, Laura cleared her thick throat. “Remember what I told you,” she said.

“I’m six now. A big girl.”

“And what else? Did you do what I said?”

“Uh-huh. I found good things to dream and held on tight, ‘cause if you hold them as tight as you can then you might wake up holding them for real, like you said.” Annabelle paused before continuing in a whisper, “But then a nightmare found me.”

“Oh, sweetie,” Laura said, half gentle, half exasperated. She flipped back her sheets and reached out to turn on the lamp, then came wide awake when she saw her daughter swaying beside the bed, eyes glazed and face ghostly from shock. “Anna?! What–“ But Laura stopped as Annabelle held up one hand. Tattered shreds of limp red skin hung from the bare bones of her knuckles. Where five chubby little fingers should have been, only a thumb remained.

“I held on tight, Mommy,” said Annabelle, “but the nightmare held on tighter.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

This i-ain't-gonna-sleep-again story is posted on Reddit.com by the user IPostAtMidnight in the Subreddit http://www.reddit.com/r/shortscarystories.
Chills my bones!!
I ain't never gonna sleep again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment